Log in

No account? Create an account
entries friends calendar profile Homepage Previous Previous Next Next
The Paranoid Android
...musings of a mechanically depressed robot...
What a lot to catchup on!

There is a certain irony in the fact that the more you have to write about your life, the less time you have to do it.

Misty has left me... for 10 days. She caught the 13:00 last Friday and will be landing Monday morning at about 07:00. I was going with her at one point or another, but the ticket prices are just insane. Coming home from the airport I got the Gatwick Express to Victoria. Those trains have air-con so stepping off the train onto the platform was like walking into an oven. I decided I couldn't face the tube, so I'd walk to Fenchurch street where there is another line of trains with air-con.

My method for getting from place to place in London is a little flaky... I have a rough map of the town in my head and know where a few of the land marks are relating to the various stations I use. With one of these landmarks in sight I will head off in a direction until I see another landmark that either confirms my heading, or gives me a new heading. This isn't a totally efficient navigation method, but it does mean I get to see bits of London I haven't seen before.

About an hour into the walk I was regretting my choice. The temperature was still rising and I was wearing my uniform of head to toe black. I had been a little sensible and bought a bottle of water - but it was punishing. I did manage to help a couple of tourists on their way... so the journey was not without point.

I finally made to Fenchurch Street and the journey home from there was cool and without incident. I had left home without my keys - so I popped into the 'rental units abode for a nice cup of tea... and stayed until about 23:00! I rushed home to wait for a call from Misty, but didn't get one.

Saturday I visited Gareth. His laptop wasn't playing nice with his set-top box. We solved that one, and watched a couple DVD's. Mrs M was kind enough to give me a lift home.

Sunday I had dinner at the 'rents. Dad and I decided a trip up the Thames to Hampton Court Palace would be nice. Originally scheduled for Wednesday, we moved it to Monday when we realised what the weather was going to be like. As it turned out - Monday was not much better! I was foolish enough to go out without a hat and sunscreen. I was a little red by the time I got home!

Hampton Court gardens are amazing. I think I need to go back and see what they look like when there is not a drought and hosepipe ban on! I'll see if I can't drag Misty along with me next time.

Tuesday I spent indoors. This was influenced in no small way by the fact that daylight burned. In low light I glowed like a beacon. I played a lot of Xbox games.

Wednesday I was sufficiently recovered to venture into the garden a couple of times... so I took a trip into Romford! I got my replacement phone unlocked so Misty should be able to use it now. I got a new hat as I can't find my old one. Getting a hat in Romford that isn't covered in some chavtastic logo is impossible... so I ended up with a Nike one. I also bought some groceries. Sainsbury's was almost pleasant on a Wednesday afternoon. The store is chilled and half empty. I got myself a coffee and people watched for 20 minutes or so.

Thursday was a work outing to Lords. We saw Durham wipe the floor with Middlesex. Durham were 300-some for 7 and reached over 400 before they were all out. Durham then managed to get Middlesex all out for less than 200. The follow-on was stopped by bad light after 10 runs and a wicket. It was a bloody good day, and I managed to put a large dent in the supplies of London Pride. After the game we headed to Covent Garden where I managed to order the worst beer in the world (Banana and bubblegum anyone?) and after that I wasn't really in the mood for any more.

I decided to walk to Liverpool Street (I really have an aversion to the underground in this weather!) and after a few little detours I managed to get there exactly 3 minutes after the last c2c left... even though the timetable online said there was another 4 trains left.

Yesterday I was up at 9 (waiting for Tesco delivery) and managed to get a few loads of washing done. I also spent far too many hours battling with Misty's PC trying to get the bastard thing to work again. I believe it has finally beat me.

Today I've taken a quick trip to the local shops to get new pots for our tomato plants... cooked myself a bacon buttie for breakfast and put another load of washing in. It's got hot again... it's 26 degrees in the shade... and the shade is fast running out as the sun reaches it's highest point of the day.

Tags: ,
Current Location: RM12 5JH
Current Mood: busy busy
Current Music: BBC Radio 2

3 comments or Leave a comment
wan1 From: wan1 Date: July 29th, 2006 09:03 pm (UTC) (Link)

Don't believe it!

My very clever boy has let a Pc beat him! Is this the end of life as I know it? Will things ever be the same again.? OK. I've gone over the top a little, perhaps. It's just that I've always assumed that, when it comes to anything to do with Pc's, you can perform miracles. Please let it be that, if my machine ever develops a fault, you still have the magical powers to do instant repairs!!

See you for lunch tomorrow. xx
nuala From: nuala Date: July 30th, 2006 10:37 am (UTC) (Link)
Your wife leaves for 10 days and you're back eatin' meals with Teh 'Rents. How funny are you! ;-)

paranoidandroid From: paranoidandroid Date: August 1st, 2006 04:31 pm (UTC) (Link)
Was Sunday dinner... back in the day both Misty and I used to go there for Sunday dinner!
3 comments or Leave a comment